Absolutely, here’s a classic American pancake recipe that’s loved across the United States:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Butter or oil for cooking
- Prepare Dry Ingredients:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well to ensure all the dry ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Mix Wet Ingredients:
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, milk, egg, and melted butter until well combined.
- Combine Wet and Dry Mixtures:
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and gently stir until just combined. It’s okay if there are a few lumps; overmixing can lead to tough pancakes.
- Preheat the Griddle or Pan:
- Preheat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat. You can test its readiness by sprinkling a few drops of water onto the surface – they should sizzle and evaporate.
- Cooking the Pancakes:
- Lightly grease the griddle with butter or oil.
- For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle. Use the back of the ladle to spread the batter into a circular shape.
- Cook Until Bubbles Form:
- Let the pancakes cook until you see bubbles forming on the surface, typically in about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip and Cook Again:
- Carefully flip the pancakes using a spatula. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on the other side, or until they’re golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer the cooked pancakes to a serving plate.
- Serve the pancakes warm, stacked high, and topped with butter and maple syrup. You can also add your favorite toppings like fresh berries, sliced bananas, chopped nuts, or even a dollop of whipped cream.
- To add extra flavor, consider mixing in ingredients like chocolate chips, blueberries, or chopped nuts into the batter before cooking.
Enjoy your homemade American pancakes, a breakfast classic that’s perfect for leisurely mornings and special occasions!